There are about 78 health institutions in Trans Nzoia County – 1 County Referral Hospital, 4 Sub-county Hospitals and 33 Dispensaries. The county has 7 health centers, 28 medical clinics and about 6 nursing homes. The population is projected to increase to 1,265,794 by 2022, delivery of quality health care services to the people of Trans Nzoia County will be a vital component of the success of devolved services in the county. My government’s approach to health will be premised on our desire to create and sustain innovative solutions that contribute towards supporting people to live longer, healthier lives.
To achieve this critical end, we will focus on creating an integrated health care infrastructure that promotes popular initiative-driven programs that encourage disease prevention and self- management within the community. Granted the challenges inherent in community behavioral changes, we will put in place strategic initiatives that provide public engagements through education and advice so that the public can embrace self-care and avoid the costly need for hospital attendance.
My government will formulate a policy paper on Primary Health Care which will form the basis of engagement with the World Bank and other Donor Agencies to finance our Primary Health Care Programs. My government will ensure the engagement with our health providers to address the issues of salary delays. In terms of infrastructure, my governments will Fast Track the completion and operationalisation of the New County Teaching and Referral Hospital.
Key objectives are
- To provide quality health services that are equitable, responsive, accessible and accountable to the people of Trans-Nzoia County.
- To eliminate and contain communicable diseases including; TB, HIV Aids, Cholera, Measles, STIs, Diarrhoea and to halt and reverse the rising burden of non communicable diseases like malaria, cancer, high blood pressure among others.
- To provide specialised and essential health services such as maternal and child healthcare.
- To Increase collaboration with health research-based organisations, institutions, and other stakeholders.
- Adopt information technology in management of health services and verification of genuine drugs.
- Rehabilitate, augment and expand the existing urban sewage collection, treatment and disposal system; and Promote the use of non-water based (e.g. ecosun) sewerage systems.
- Ensure countywide inclusion of all households in the national healthcare scheme.
My government will formulate a policy paper on Primary Health Care which will form the
basis of engagement with the World Bank and other Donor Agencies to finance our
Primary Health Care Programs. My government will ensure the engagement with our
health providers to address the issues of salary delays. In terms of infrastructure, my
governments will Fast Track the completion and operationaliSation of the New County
Teaching and Referral Hospital.
Safety and security
Security being paramount in fostering peace within Trans-Nzoia County will form a critical part of my personal engagement as the governor. To realise this important role, I will undertake to work closely with the National Security Apparatus towards enhancing the policing service in responding to emerging security threats. We will address the issues of insecurity, notably, violent crimes, unresolved murders and
rampant thefts by undertaking the following strategies:
- Assess the policing resource capacity with a view to addressing the motor vehicle and manpower numbers that will boost patrols aimed at crime detections and prevention.
- Work closely with the investigating agencies to fast track and bring closure to pending criminal cases by arresting the culprits and presenting them to our courts of law.
- Instilling the culture of democracy where the police will respect the public and vice versa to ensure mutual trust and public cooperation aimed at crime prevention.
- Reinforce the principles of Community Policing to enhance improved security management and crime prevention at the local level.
- Seek and encourage the improvement of the police work environment within our County.